Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hittin' the Sauce




Today I scheduled my glucose tolerance test at the OB, and I can guarantee a long detailed blog entry after that highly-anticipated event. I have been instructed to fast for 12 hours before the event and not exercise. I'm really glad they told me the second part, because I was definitely planning on going for a long run after no nutrtion for half a day. I'm also really glad that they gave me another bit of critical information to prep me. I am to consume no alcoholic beverages 48 hours prior to the test. Good thing they told 25-weeks-pregnant me to hold off on the sauce for 2 days. That would have been a close one.




At dinner tonight, Michael reached for a "gift bag" that we got from BabiesRUs for registering there. "Gift bag" is code for "free advertising," overpackaged product samples placed in a bag and labeled as a gift in hopes that when overwhelmed new parents are nearly crying in front of 487 choices of baby products, they will choose the one they have seen in their bag. Michael pulled out a baby bottle.




"If I drank out of this bottle, could our baby still use it someday?" He asked, turning it over in his hands.




"I suppose so," I answered, "if you washed it well."




There was a pause from the Daddy-to-be. Then: "Good, because I really want to!" He tore open the layers of packaging and read the directions carefully. If I hadn't seen what was under the packaging, I would have laughed at the step-reading. But when I saw the bottle come apart in 12 pieces, shields, dual-nipples, vent system and all, I listened up to the fine print. You would have thought we were assembling furniture from IKEA.




Michael figured it out soon enough, and just after saying, "there's just something comforting about drinking for a bottle," poured his lemon water and took a drag.




"This is like, super-slow!" he exclaimed, and passed the bottle to me.




I looked at the bottle, weireded out that I had just watched my husband drink from it a good 3 months before my baby would. But I couldn't deny that I was curious, and I took a swig as well.




Ah, the comfort of a shared bottle.




No comments:

Post a Comment