Thursday, May 21, 2009

Amazing

As mentioned in yesterday's entry, I find the word "amazing" to be overused. In English education we call this a "dead" word, because it's tossed around so much that it's lost its oomph.

But before I bury the word, I feel the need to apologize and explain something. It's about my blog address. It's embarrassing. You see, when I finally decided to start journaling my experience in blog form, I went to blogspot.com and began filling in all kinds of information. There were several prompts to enter in a title, a name, a handle, a subject, a nickname, an author. And several of my attempts to fill in these blanks failed because another blogger was using them. Becoming frustrated, I lost track of what I was filling out. I guess when it came to the web address, I began to type pretty much anything I could think of with my initials in it. Apparently there are a lot of bloggers with my initials. The one that took was kctheamazing.

I was mortified to find this nickname appear after the www. I did not choose this name because I think I'm amazing. I'm proud of myself sometimes, and I'm happy to be me. I do the best I can. But I would never parade around calling myself "amazing." And certainly not "the amazing," which sounds even more egotistical. Like I'm some kind of pregnant superhero.

The nickname, actually, comes from Uno. I am married to a very competative game-player. And a very skilled one at that. Michael is a Smarty McSmart-Smart, and there are very few things I can beat him at. One of them is Go-Kart racing, which is a story for another day. The other is Uno. I know, I know, Uno requires some strategy but is largely based on the luck of the draw. But I happen to be good at the game anyway. I love Uno. I own several versions, including Muppets, Harry Potter, Uno Attack, Uno Spin, Waterproof Uno, Pirates of the Caribbean, and another one I can't remember. I could get off the couch and walk the 20 feet to the game closet to look but I'm not going to; I'm pregnant. Anyway, it was during a several-handed session when I was clobbering my hubby that he gave me the title of "KC the Amazing." Since then, whenever I have sobered him with winning round after round, I taunt him and say, "What's my name? Say it, say my name!" until he gives in and mumbles, "KC the Amazing."

So there you have it friends. I now feel partially redeemded by explaining the source of the accidental blog address. But only paritally; I'm still embarrassed. How about this: when you type it in, know that the "amazing" is this new life that has blessed us. Our amazing, numero Uno.

1 comment: