"Would you like a hug first, or a kiss first?"
"Kiss! First!"
This is my routine with Charlie when I tuck him into bed (after his 62 attempts to stall bedtime). I love that he wants his kiss first, because I love to linger when I end with his hug. I rest my head on his sweet, warm chest and listen to his breathing and his healthy heart beating. It's a moment of treasured stillness and tenderness that leaves us both loved and restored. Tonight as I lay listening to the thump-thump, thump-thump, it transported me to the last time I had listened for a heartbeat. It was this morning, after my patient died. I leaned over in the stillness and listened, as her husband and two sons waited for me to stand up and tell them that she was gone.
I come home from days like this drained and sad with raw grief, but there is so much life waiting to welcome me home. Today I lingered in their hugs a little longer. My arms were around them, but they were the ones holding me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment