Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A (Nurse's) Note About Nurse's Week

Tomorrow I am getting a free Cinnnabon, and 25% off my meal at The Melting Pot, because it's nurse's week, and I am a nurse.  I have loving affirmations, photos and videos that I'm tagged in on my Facebook wall, because it's nurse's week, and I am a nurse.

But to be really, really honest...I feel a little funny about having 1/52nd of the year be in celebration of what I do, receiving special privileges  and discounts.  I am all for spreading awareness of what nurses do.  Most people who have not encountered a hospitalization, chronic illness, or an overtired family member who works as a nurse don't really know exactly what we do. Some people don't even want to hear about it, the parts that are gory, gross, or unbelieveably sad.  I had a friend who actually thought most of my job was about passing out meals to patients.  So yeah, a little education to combat the graphics that continue to show up (in the very advertisements for the aforementioned discounts, for example)  with nurses wearing hats and skimpy dresses would be nice.  (For the record, I would be fired wearing either.)

My profession is one of service, yes.  It's physically demanding. Emotionally exhausting. It ruins holidays and weekends.  Leads to burnout.  It's usually smelly, often uncomfortable, and sometimes sends me home in tears.  But do I want a cookie for taking this profession? Well, yes, I want the cookie, but no, not as a reward. 

The quickest way to kill conversation at a party is to share that you are a hospice nurse.  And pediatric hospice nurse?  Forget about any normal conversation after that one.  Except the expected "How can you do that?" "You must be and angel." "Isn't that SO hard?" "How are you not crying every second of the day?"  I am happy to give you answers to all of those questions, but the most important one I give is the one that follows "I could never do what you do."  I reply, every time, "I can't do what you do either."  And it's so true.  Just 10 minutes ago, I called my hubby into the room to "fix the internet," because I'm internet-dumb and impatient.  He? Is amazing.  Accountant friends, I cannot math, and I whine over a detailed task that requires more than writing my signature.  Marketing friends, you have so many subdivisions to your job title that I look at your big buildings and wonder what on earth you all do...I want to peel away the outer wall to your offices to spy on a cross-section of marketing professionals, like in a Richard Scarry children's book about being Busy Busy.  Consultant friends...I still have no idea what a consultant is.  Contractor friends, I cannot hammer in a nail straight if my nursing license depended on it. In high school Tech Ed class, I once broke, yes broke, a massive drill by improperly securing the wood below it.  Engineers, I can't figure anything out or come up with anything new.  And also, I am terrible at physics and stuff.  Firefighter friends, I hate being sweaty.  Researchers, I have no focus and no long-term vision.  Gas station attendants, I would mess up the register and I'm afraid of getting robbed.  Teachers, good heavens, teachers...bless your patient, flexible, committed hearts...I don't like even standing near the average teenager. Scientists, I will never be patient enough to measure anything accurately beyond a dash or a pinch, and I would blow up your lab. Lawyers, I hate confrontation. Artists, I can't draw a straight line, not even with a ruler.  Personal Trainers, I hate running. House cleaners, I can't recall if I've ever vacuumed half the bedrooms in this house. Waste management, I still sort the recycling wrong, and that's just in my own house.

I'm not kidding, people.  I could not do what you do.  We are all made for different things, and thank goodness for that.  Because you don't want me handling your finances or fixing your leaky pipes.  I will still redeem my Cinnabon and fondue discount this week, but while I do, I will be wishing you a very Happy IT/Accountant/Marketing/Consulting/Contracting/Engineer/Firefighter/Research/Sceintist/Gas Station Attendant/Teacher/Lawyer/Artist/Personal Trainer/House Cleaner/Waste Management/Everything Week.  Thank you for what you do.  This world would absolutely not function the same without you, and I appreciate you. Now go get yourself a cookie.


Note from the author: this blog post could not possibly approach the scope of jobs that exist.  Please feel free to note your area of employment and I will tell you with certainty just why I could never do what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment