One of Oliver's little friends, Sadie, is a darling, precocious two-year-old who is in the stage of repeating everything that her delicate little ears hear. Last night, we were with Sadie when in the middle of playing, she crawled off the couch and said thoughfully, "I want coffee." Just like that, as if she was just about to walk into the kitchen and brew herself some dark roast and offer us a biscotti.
This morning, I couldn't help hearing her tiny little voice in my own head: I want coffee. What a smart little girl. I am exhausted. This morning, after Oliver and Michael left for the day, I puttered in the kitchen putting away the dishes, still in my pajamas. This is very dangerous. I didn't need to leave for my first visit for a while, but really needed to get some things done. But my pajamas were on...how easy it would be to just slip right back into bed...just for a little while...
I didn't, and on days like this when I make that better choice of being productive, I dream about getting coffee. "Well," I think to myself, "if it gets realllly bad, if I'm just waaaay too tired, I can always get a Caribou." I know that we'd pay off our mortage about ten years earlier if I didn't go so often, and maybe Oliver would be able to seek out higher education after high school. I also know that I will end up crashing from the caffeine so hard that I will be worse off than I was before. And then I start to think, "what will become of my teeth?" Michael has always loved my teeth. "I love your teeth," he says. "They're just so... white! Great teeth, great teeth..."
This morning as I decided to be good and take a shower already, I had a vision of myself with dark yellow teeth rotting out of my head. Yeah, said the cartoon Caribou Coffee conscience that floated above my shoulder wearing the devil horns, but you can always do Crest White Strips. Like, every day, if you have to. He continued, and besides, you have to drive a lot today. What if you crashed because you were too tired? $5 for an uppety coffee house drink will save you money, because you won't be paying $500 for your car insurance deductable when you drive off the road...It's for your own safety and financial stability that you get a medium Mint Condition mocha made with dark chocolate...
He's right. I want coffee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love it! We can´t wait to see Sadie, Oliver and all of you on Monday! I´m seriously counting down the hours. Yipee!
ReplyDelete