Monday, March 22, 2010

Cheerio!

Like I do at least once a week, I realized this morning that pretty much the only things we had in the house left to eat included pasta and lunch meat. I tossed the last remnant of a fruit serving (a box of raisins) into my lunch bag, making a note to self that we desperately needed groceries. I made another note to self that the shopping list, which usually turns out to be a mere guideline when the groceries are purchased at SuperTarget, needed to include a box of Cheerios. With trepidation, we decided to finally try them out before Oliver turned 16.

But also like I do at least once a week, I neglected to get the shopping done. I worked an hour late and dinner became more important than the errand, and then the Wii became more important than the errand. And then watching "Monk" became more important than the errand. But to my happy surprise, I found a lonely bag of cheerios, de-housed from its cheery yellow box, rolled up in our pantry. It was time.

Oliver was eating peas - pureed peas- before the big moment, so we figured that anything would be a taste oasis compared to packaged nastiness. We set several O's in front of Mr. O, and he looked down, maneuvering his chubby hands and delicate fingers. One by one he picked them up and one by one he dropped them into his lap. At long last, one solitary Cheerio made it to its destination. And this is what we saw next.

"He's just like his Daddy," Michael said proudly. "Those things are nasty."
I hope Michael enjoys the pureed pees I put in his lunch for tomorrow.

1 comment: