Monday, May 16, 2011

Amen


A few months ago, when we would pray before dinner, a ginormous smile crept across Oliver's face when we said, "Amen." 

A couple of weeks ago, Oliver's joy at the word "Amen" expanded into praying with us.  "Let's pray, Oliver," we say, and he holds a hand out to Michael, and he holds out a hand to me as we say grace. 

"Amen."  Huge smile.

Tonight, Oliver held his little hands out for ours.  5 minutes later, he did it again.

"Ah-may?  Ah-may?" he asked.

"No, buddy, we're all done," Michael said.  "Just once."

I looked at my husband, confused.  "We can pray twice.  Right?" 

Michael understood my question- could we really set limits on prayer?  "Okay," he consented, and held out his hand.  We prayed.  "Amen." 

30 second later:  "Ah-may? Ah-may?" Oliver was picking up my hand.  "Ah-mey!"

Maybe we should consider a monastary for the little man.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that THE GREATEST thing EVER! Gabe got hurt playing awhile back and I ran over to love on him a bit, you know, make him feel better since he was crying and all. Elle came over and said, "Mom, I think we should pray for Gabe." I put her exuberance to the test and asked her to pray expecting her to ask Kyle or I to. She jumped right and it was the best prayer I think I have EVER heard!

    ReplyDelete