Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blinking


I've been sick today, like 3-boxes-of-Kleenex, missing-the-taste-of-food, sleeping-15-hours-a-day sick.  Michael took Oliver to day care, but then got stuck at work unil 9pm, so Oliver hung out at daycare the whole time.  I was glad for time to myself to gulp down fluids, sleep, watch "Lost" on streaming Netflix, and most importantly to try to avoid spreading my nasty virus.

But I missed Oliver, a lot.  At times I can go away for a weekend and be totally fine, and then there are times when less than 24 hours seems like an eternity. Those are the days when I wonder what I've missed.  What new words, how many smiles, how many hugs, how many tantrums.  I don't know what he ate today, who he played with, and what made him happy.  Everyone knows that when you blink, kids grow up.  And today, I blinked. 

Michael brought him in tonight, a drowsy Oliver who had fallen asleep in the pack and play a couple hours earlier.  As he put him in his pajamas, Oliver looked at me at smiled.  "Mommy!," he said softly with a dimpled smile.  I smiled back and blew him kisses from a distance.  His face searched mine a bit, then pointed to me and said, "Owie?"

I blew him a another kiss before we went to bed, for forty winks.

No comments:

Post a Comment