Saturday, May 5, 2012

For a Rainy Day

I have wanted boots for some time now.  Like cute, trendy rubbery rain boots with sweet patterns on them.  Boots that I have no business buying because, really, I cannot justify dropping forty-some dollars on a pair of galoshes that I will have reason to wear only when it's super-rainy, and only then if I can pull it off with whatever I'm wearing.  But still, I want them.  Today, I was happy to see a 50% off sign at Target above a decent selection of rain boots.  I didn't get them, primarily because I had just bought someone else a pair
.



Maybe because it was raining today, maybe because I was at a baby shower cooing over cute tiny clothes...today was about buying rain slicker and boots for Oliver.  And it occurred to me, with these two items, I wasn't giving him protection from the rain.  I was giving him permission to play in it.  Charlie, Oliver and I headed outside.














I ran from puddle to puddle with Oliver, performing acrobatics.  But Oliver wanted me to stomp. 

"I can't, honey," I explained.  "I don't have rain boots."

He looked down, and happily replied, "I do!"

This gave me an idea.

"Maybe Mommy should buy some rain boots, too, so I can stomp in puddles with you."

"Yeah!"

"Okay, go ask Daddy if Mommy can buy new rain boots," I said, and sent our little duck to the front door to ask Michael.  Because really, who could say no to this?


No comments:

Post a Comment