Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Childes At Heart

Michael and I travelled to southern Iowa for a wedding last weekend. 

"Have I ever told you about Adventureland?"  Michael asked over burgers 320 miles in.

He went on to tell me about the amusement park that he had last visited when he was eight.

"It's so awesome," he said, and mentioned that we'd be passing it on our way home tomorrow.

He had me at "amusement park"- I was already on my Blackberry researching hours of operation and the weather forecasted for Des Moines, Iowa.  You see, Michael and I, we like to play.  Wisconsin Dells is our favorite travel destination.  "Oh, for the kids?" you might be thinking.  No, no, my friend.  Those water parks, roller coasters, go-carts, and wizarding labrynths are ours, and ours alone.  I have made no less than four road trips (after flying to Ohio) with my sister and brother-in-law to visit the roller coaster capital of the US, Cedar Point.   For us, playing is serious business.  Which is why I was already looking at the specs of the thrill rides at Adventureland; we had no kids with us on this trip.

And so it was, 20 hours later, that we bought jugs of water and sunscreen at a gas station, then took over the park.

"What a great Father's Day," Michael said, and I had to agree.  There were no lines for the best rides.  The sun was shining and a gentle breeze was blowing.  We roller-coastered, we bumper-carred, we ferris-wheeled. We ate ice cream, we got dizzy and nauseous, we held hands.  We bought candy and fudge.



We watched cute kids wave to their parents from their little kiddie rides, beaming and waving frantically, calling "Hi Mommy, hi!  Daddy, look at me!!!!!"

"I do miss the kids," Michael said.  "But just a little."






Happy Father's Day to the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment