Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pig Tails






Anyone remember Amelia Bedelia?  It was a book series about an unfortunate young lady who tried very hard to keep a job, but wasn't able to perform her duties because she took everything literally.  She was told to press the curtains, and she used her hands to flatten them against the wall. She was told to throw the cake in the oven, and, well, she chucked it like a frisbee towards to oven door.

I was thinking about Amelia the other day when I told Oliver I was going to "just quick hop in the shower."  I paused and wondered, does he think I'm going to go in there and hop up and down?  At age three and a half, I would guess that the answer is yes, that is quite probable.  And I wonder what other obsurdities I have told him. Running into Target, when we actually walked...tossing Charlie into his carseat...or then there was the time when he asked me what I was doing with my hair.

"I'm putting my hair into pig tails."

"PIG TAILS?!!!"

"Oh, um, well, they're not really pig tails, they're just...here, see?  This is what we call pigtails, but they're not actually tails from pigs."

"Oh. Dat funny!"

Tonight my Mr Bedelia was holding onto me for balance as I stuffed his legs into undersized pajamas.  My hair, which had been driving me nuts with the frigid, dry air, was pulled back into two hair binders. You know, pigtails.   Oliver leaned over my head as he held onto me. 

"Mommy, I yike the toeneails on your head."

No comments:

Post a Comment