Sunday, January 6, 2013

Something Right

I had another toe surgery last week, preceded by a very painful infection.  Michael bumped it last week and I gasped with pain and tears.  Oliver watched my face and became very solemn.

"Wanna ice pack, Mommy?  I kiss it?" He looked to be on the verge of tears himself.

Two days later, Charlie got four shots at his 1-year appointment.  Oliver looked at the little circle bandages on Charlie's chubby thighs. "Awwwww," he said.  "Poor Charyee.  Dat hurt, Charyee? Poor Charyee.  I kiss it."

Watching Oliver develop a heart of empathy has brought us immeasurable joy.  This kid cares about others, and takes time to build others up as well. At least once a day, we hear something along these lines:

"Mommy, you're pretty.  You're pretty ALL the time."
"Pretty hair, Mommy."
"Pretty shirt, Mommy."
"I yuv you, Daddy."
"I really, really, really, really, really, REALLY yuv you!"
"Yay, Daddy, you fixed it!  Good teamwork."
"Oh, no!  Daddy has a heg-ache. I kiss it."  (more commonly known as a headache).
"I wanna 'nuggle."

Reality insert:  In case you're wondering if he is a real 3-year-old boy, let me tell you that at the check-out lane at Target today, he hit my leg angrily, then he yelled, "You hurt me, Mommy!  You're in time-out!"

But most of the time, he is a kid who worries about those around him, who wants to make you feel good, and who notices the little things.  We must be doing something right.

I can tell you that a big part of that something right is his father.  Michael has an unending supply of patience and grace, with the kids and most certainly with me.  I don't know how that man listens to my emotional outpouring for hours on end and still has enough left to go out and buy me flowers.  That is exactly what he did yesterday after a particularly emotionally difficult weekend for me.  I am blessed beyond measure.  It is no wonder our son has learned to love generously. 

Today Charlie was growing some particularly large teeth and was appropriately sad about it.  Listening to him cry in his crib, I muttered in front of Oliver, "I wonder why Charlie's so sad."  Oliver, no doubt seeing Michael's floral  response to me yesterday said, "It's 'cuz he wants flowers.  Fresh flowers."

Indeed, we're teaching him all the right things.

No comments:

Post a Comment