A few months ago, we finished our basement. Well, I say "we," but it was really Michael, his dad, a plumber and a carpenter. I helped hold the slidey recessed light canister thingies in place, though. The fact that I'm calling them slidey recessed light canisters shows that it's a good thing I didn't do much more than that. But you can add 10 bonus points for me getting up on a ladder and looking straight up, because at the ripe old age of 34 I'm officially not a fan of heights. Just lights. So yeah, we finished the basement.
The kids like to play down there, we have hosted company a few times down there, but mostly we like to hide down there. Charlie's on a streak again of screaming himself to sleep. This week's worst night was 2 hours. Poor sweet Oliver wanted to give him his favorite small plastic figurine to sleep with. I told him that it was very sweet, but ScubaMan was too small for him to have in the crib, and he might choke. "But then he's going to cry again," he said. "Good point," I said, "throw it in there." No, I didn't, really. We settled on a baby monkey, which was not real, and closed the door on his wailing, which was very real.
I've expressed to Michael that when we hide out in the basement, I'm afraid that Oliver will need something, go downstairs to the living room and not find us there, not find us upstairs in the bedroom, and then think we've completely left the house. Which we've only done on a handful of occasions, when our babysitter was unavailable for date night, and the time when I ran out of Lindor truffles at 11 pm. Oh, come on now, I'm kidding. I would never run out of Lindor truffles.
The fear continued to plague me and I relented to just using earbuds in my laptop in the living room to drown out Charlie's protests. I would text Michael my frustration over Charlie's behavior, which was always answered: "BASEMENT, BABY!" I actually thought of grabbing a post-it and writing Oliver a note to let him know I was down there, until I remembered that oh yeah, he's four. So I finally just explained to Ollie that if he needed something, and Mommy and Daddy weren't in their room, and if they weren't in the living room or kitchen, that we might be down in the basement. "Okay," he said simply, and repeated what I told him.
Tonight as I was tucking Oliver into bed, he recited the basement plan to me again. "If I just need to go to the bathroom, I just go. But if I need something, I look in Mommy and Daddy's room. If they're not there, I look downstairs. If they're not there, I look in the basement, sometimes they're there."
"That's right!" I say.
"Sometimes you play down there," he says gravely.
All I can do is laugh and nod, as he adds:
"Like you're 15."
Busted.


No comments:
Post a Comment