Tuesday, November 8, 2016

A Few Good Things

This election.

That's about all I need to say, and you're all shaking your heads, sighing in frustration, disgust, fatigue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you.  But when I awoke this morning on election day, I was in a strangely excited mood. A good mood, actually.  Michael woke me up with a coffee, saying "I got you a Snickers mocha, because you're sweet too." I crooned an "awwwww!" and as he walked out of the room, he added "oh, and there's a cinnamon roll for you at the table. I figured we could use all the good things we can get today."  And I drifted in and out of sleep, happily dozing next to the smell of my coffee.

And although I had a bit of caffeine in my system this morning, the coffee wasn't entirely responsible for my jitters.  There was an odd mixture of excitement, anxiety, concern, celebration, pride, and energy that made me antsy.  On most days I need to give myself a realllll good pep talk to get to the gym, but today I happily zumba'd, biked, and planked for all of 90 minutes, leaving for home only because I couldn't stand my stank any longer.  I just could not sit still.

At the risk of seeming ignorant, too perky, and simplistic, I feel that there are a few good things about this election that don't get recognized enough; and understandably so. Optimism wouldn't dare earn a segment in anyone's new coverage.  But it has a place in my ponderings... it doesn't replace the ugliness, or hide it in the least, but it is worth noting that in our time of unrest, it is not for nothing.

1) This election has engaged the quiet and the complacent.  It has gotten those typically uninterested in politics to do a double take, and to speak up.

2) It has confirmed the significance of what it means to be privileged with a democracy, and that things can move forward when given a voice.  It seemed to most that Mr. Trump running for president was simply funny.  It was a joke.  But here we are, on election night at 11:42pm, and we are either biting our nails, wide-eyed at the percentage points...or closing our eyes and just dealing with it in the morning.  No matter who your candidate is, it is clear that no matter what your background and experience, you can become president. I am choosing to take a perspective that, looking at the big picture...isn't it kind of cool that we can back whoever we choose to? 

3) This presidential race is historic...from a woman presidential nominee, to serious character flaws in each candidate. So many voters have been torn about what to do.  Pick the "lesser of two evils"? Write-in a candidate? Choose not to vote?  Regardless of tomorrow's election results, from a social standpoint, I am wildly curious to see what happens...who chose to write-in candidates, who chose to abstain from voting- and did it make a difference?  I want to watch it be dissected, analyzed, and see what we learned from this unprecedented race.  I have no doubt that this election will be a fascinating case for poly-sci classes.  Our kids will be reading about this election in history books.  We are living history.  Sorry, but...isn't that kind of... awesome?

4) This election, more than ever before, has made us really think about what our values are...and what to do when we have to choose between those values that are most precious to us. When it comes down to it...what is it that we hold most sacred?

5) And though this seems trite, I would be amiss if I didn't mention that this race has been fodder for some of the absolute best comedy ever produced from an election.  I will never tire of musicals, lip-dubs, and late-night recaps.  You may roll your eyes at this, but I contend that humor is absolutely instrumental to surviving dark times, and there has been plenty of relief to be found on social media (thank you, Randy Rainbow, Bad Lip Dub, and John Oliver.)

Last night, I reached for my Bible before I went to bed.  I turned out the light, and hung onto my Bible as if it were a teddy bear.  I slept like that, the small book in my clutches, my security.  I prayed throughout the day and knew that my prayers were heard for this country. I prayed as I stood in the plastic cubicle with my black felt-tip pen, before I made a move to fill in my circles. And I was overcome with that excitement again. Because here I was, voting, free to add my voice, and free to speak to my God in this voting booth.  What freedom we have. What privilege.  As tough as this election has been, and undoubtedly the next several months ahead will be no matter who wins the presidency, we do, in fact, have quite a bit to celebrate.

1 comment: