Saturday, January 28, 2017

No Words

You're probably hoping that this is not a political post.

We're saturated with political articles, blog posts, comments, arguments, analysis, tweets, social media turmoil.

Post a picture of a puppy, you say.

And I could. In fact, I'm trying to seek out good... humorous memes,  good art, stand-up comedy, I've even resorted to animal videos. I do it because it's important to self-monitor in these tenuous days, when it all becomes too much, and we risk hurting each other with our words, we start living the darkness we are feeling, or maybe worse, we stop caring and ignore it all. 

But while self-care in our exposure is critical to the wellbeing of ourselves and others, the conversations need to continue.  We need to connect, seek, network, attempt to understand, gather, move forward, and do. And because I'm a writer...this is me doing.

Today when I watched a recap on the executive orders carried out in this first week, I wept.  Straight up, I wept. It occurred to me that over the past year, I have gone through those well-known stages of grief: the denial, the bargaining, the anger, the sadness...but I promise you this, I will never come to acceptance.

The phrase that I see so many of my friends type out in response to the headlines is "I have no words."  And I am with them.  I cannot find words that will approach the intensity of my grief and disappointment.  But something needs to be said, and they need to be said with the very grace I try to live by.

I am a Christian. Jesus Christ is my savior and while I will never pretend to be without need of constant correction and forgiveness, there are things I have learned from Jesus to do my best to live out:

Love.
Humility.
Compassion.
Patience.
Kindness.
Gentleness.
Peace.

This week has brought changes via our new President that directly defy these values. And these are not just morals, not just nice things to do, and far beyond flowery lexicon.  It is what I am called as a follower of Jesus to do, to be.  Feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, have compassion on the widow. Be of humble heart.

But all I hear are words like "refusing refugees," "America first," "Building a wall," "Keep America safe."

Jesus does not call us to be safe.  He calls us to be bold.
Jesus does not call us to be first.  He calls us to be last.
Jesus does not call us to shut people out.  He calls us to let them in.
Jesus does not call us to refuse.  He calls us to serve.

I do not know the answers to the myriad of challenges that our country holds.  But I know it's not this. 

My sons are 5 and 7.  When they are strapped into their carseats and can't go anywhere in a small contained space, they pretty much have to hear what I say.  And so I take these on-the-road moments as opportunities to teach them what Michael and I want them to know.   We're trying to raise them to think in a way that may be completely opposite of what the world tells them.

Last week, our conversation went a little like this:

Me: "Was Jesus a good guy or a bad guy?"
Them: "Good guy!"
Me: "Yep! So who do you think His friends were?"
Them: "Good guys!"
Their jaws succumbed to gravity as I explained to them that Jesus befriended people who stole, murdered, lied, and made all kinds of poor choices.

Our God is a God of grace and inclusion.

Readers, please know that I am not writing for Christians...I am not writing on behalf of Christians.  Let me be clear that I am not labeling Christians as the only ones who strive to live out humility, love, peace, patience and kindness.  Indeed, plenty of Christians do not, and countless non-Christians do.  I am calling out Jesus here because for me, following Him is how I live out my life.  My God is a God of justice, compassion, humility, kindess and love... and because of this,  I will not keep silent.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen and amen and amen and amen. So very well said. So faithfully said. And there is only one other word I can add to that list: OBEDIENCE to what Jesus taught. And everything you listed is about obedience to what He taught. And lived. And died for. Thank you, faithful one.

    ReplyDelete