"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
--St Francis of Assisi, a Very Smart Dude
My good friend Melissa gave me a card the other week with this quote on it. It is hanging in my cubicle at work, dead-center in my line of vision. This quote has become my mantra when I become discouraged at just how much I can't do at once.
Before having Oliver, I would hear mothers tell other mothers cheesey and obvious statements like, "you can't do it all," and "nobody's perfect." I used to think that these bits of brainless advice were directed towards mothers who were upset when they biffed a frosting job on one out of 52 cupcakes they baked for their kid's classroom, or mothers who felt guilty about purchasing a Halloween costume instead of sewing one. Mothers who, a la Kelly Rippa commercials, wear high heels while managing puppy parties and art projects, with hair that would never be caught up in a messy pony tail. I knew I wasn't one of these mothers, so I knew I would ignore the advice without batting an eye. Sure I bake, but the monkey-faced cupcakes I made for Oliver's birthday party on Sunday looked like birds wearing earphones. I don't have the energy to be a perfectionist, so I just went ahead and offered people a musical-bird cupcake.
But as the months go by, I am noticing that there are some pretty significant things that get missed and fall out of balance. One week I will be great about getting an okay amount of sleep, but then the laundry is never done. Another week we're never at a lack for clean underwear, but I can't seem to plan a meal better than noodles with a clump of butter and handfull of shredded cheese. This week, dear reader, it was my blog that fell by the wayside. But on the upside, I have planned out some cute outfits to wear, as I made time to shop for myself on Tuesday.
I'm learning that the advice about letting things go, that I can't do everything, really is for me. As in, I will likely never have the dishes put away and the mail sorted at the same time. If I blow-dry my hair, you can bet I didn't pack a lunch for the day. There's always a ball that's gotta drop. And when it starts to really bug me that there really isn't a time any more where everything in my daily life is in balance, I go back to that quote. I start by doing what's necessary. Oliver is well-fed with a clean butt and happy countenance. My husband loves me, and I get around to feeding him, too. And more often than not, I keep myself showered, and spend time in prayer. Then I move on to what's possible for the day. On days when I don't feel I can do much else after the necessary, I try to let it go. Somebody very special taught me how to do just that.

I knew they were monkeys! (Really)
ReplyDeleteOh, how we all need this reminder. I have to stop and tell myself: When you look back at Sadie's childhood, you aren't going to think, "I wish I had done laundry more often" or "If only I packed my lunch that one day."
ReplyDeleteOh, Kirsten, this is so true! I, too, have learned to give up certain things (dusting etc.) and figure out what my survival mode is. I totally hear you about laundry versus sleep. Cute hair versus lunch. I am so right there with you!!!! Happy Bday to Mr. Oliver, too! YAY!
ReplyDelete