Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Day in the Life, Big and Small

A fellow blogger has inspired and invited me to join her in project "A Day in the Life," a day captured in pictures to look back on. And after shooting 140-some pictures, whiddling them down to 39, and posting them here, I am struck with how much happens in a day, both big and small.






Come follow along, on an October Sunday
For a day in the life of our family -just one day.




I started the day with a bath, and with bubbles
For why not begin with soaking away troubles?




Next up is make-up, toothbrush and paste;
Watching the clock, I picked up the pace.


Good morning, my Michael, I hope you slept sweet,
Now get up and get moving, and out of the sheets!



Good morning, my kitty, I hope you slept sweet;
I'll pet you real quick, then give you a treat.


Good morning, my Ollie, I hope you slept sweet;
I love you so much, from your head to your feet.




Good morning, my sister, I hope you slept sweet;
Today your week-long visit's complete.




It's off now to church, with food on the run,
An apple will do; yes, apples are fun!




My Ollie can't seem to sit much past two
Minutes into chuch, he's got too much to do!

The nursery unattended, we had to walk out,
And watch from the back, with a bit of a pout.

He discovered Shake n' Bake in the food shelf collection,
Ran off with a dash, and needed correction.



We said hi to good friends, Karen and Steve,
Our connection to them is special indeed.

I nannied their Maddie, when she was a baby,
Now she's grown up, into quite the young lady.




Church had a pie social, right after the service
The sugar was tasty, the coffee was nervous.




But Karen needs more caffeine than that joe supplied
So we ran then to Starbucks- and now are nerves are fried.


Karen went nuts in Lunds' nut collection
Searching for pecans to toast to perfection.



Back at Mom and Dad's, now in Maple Plain,
Michael posed for a senior picture again.



Karen roasted almonds, which smelled so divine;
I made apple crisp, recipe online.





Here's Grandma and Mom, it's such a cute pic;
(After brushing hair, grabbing mirrors, checking buttons and zips.)



My Dad arrived home, after preaching quite well;
He's ready for napping, though a bit hard to tell.



Here is our dinner: a salad amazing;
The goat cheese and 'maters have me hankering and craving.




Ollie read books, Karen listened on the floor;
Turning page after page, he read more and more.




Here's a big "first" while playing- just look:
Ollie picked up the phone right off of its hook.




(He also learned all about poor phone reception
Plastic has no coverage, at least that's the perception).





We went out to play, and got out of the house;
(It's important to be silly at times with your spouse.)














Back inside, we Skyped Janet and Bill,
(My Aunt, my Uncle), even Toba was still.




Back home I take time to smell all our flowers;
Their scents and their colors, intoxicating powers.



Then into the tub went Ollie to play;
Splashing and laughing, we soap-sudsed away.




We then became sad, towards the end of the day
as our sweet Auntie Karen had to fly, fly away.





Just look at that face, as Ollie frowned too,
It was a quiet ride home, an occasional "boo hoo."




The car got packed with nursing-work stuff;
Bags, crates, and boxes, all should be enough.



Oliver had a "nightcap" of milk, if you will;
A shot in a sippy makes him sleepier still.


Sweat pants and slippers were next on the list,
the night before Monday calls for creature-comfort bliss.



We watched a great flick, "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs,"
--and while I highly recommend this lovely, quippy little comedy, I do take up issue with it's title as it totally threw off the rhythm of my poetry, not to mention that it's nearly impossible to find something applicable to rhyme with "meatballs." Just sayin.'




I hopped into bed, and as you have guessed,
I wrote a blog entry, though I don't think my best.




Here is me sleeping, in my beloved bed
(though it actually happened with lights off instead).

A day in the life, on the 10th of October
Has me reflecting, just now that it's over:
Each day has its details in 24 hours
That make up one day, blessed, yes, that is ours.

3 comments:

  1. That is so fun! I am afraid I am going to have to copy it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pictures of Karen!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha HA! Great post, K!!! I love it! Love that you rhymed the whole thing (you're of course, forgiven for the lapse due to the "meatballs" - it's such a fun movie that it's a great excuse for the rhyme disruption).
    Since you wrote such a wonderful blog on the ten, I'm hoping you'll do this again and again!
    Love, Kia

    ReplyDelete