Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Two!
For the first year of Oliver's life, we worried that when he learned to count, he would only be able count to eight. We have eight steps on each staircase, separated by a landing. I started counting the stairs out loud when I had my arms full with him, a breast pump, burp cloths, and my jug-o-water once I returned home from the C-section. I was terrified of falling with him, and as I often couldn't see my feet with all of the supplies I carried, I began counting the steps out loud. Step eight was always a joyous one- "....six...seven...eight! Eight stairs, Oliver!"
It turns out that we had nothing to fear. He really only counts to three. And skips number one. Oh, if we count with him to ten, he'll do it, and he will get eight or so numbers correct as we chant them out. But if he is on his own, it's all about two and three. He likes to take his shoes and socks off in the car, throw his socks at driving Mommy, giggle, and then proceed with counting his toes. From the backseat I hear:
"Teeeeyoooo...thweeeeee....teeeeeeeyooooo....thweeeeee....(long pause)....teeeyoooo...thweeeeee...[and a triumphant] TEEEEEYOOOOOOO!!!!! YAAAAAYYY!!!" (Clap, clap, clap).
But teeeeyoooo is a good number to be stuck on. Ollie's birthday is on July second, and yes, he will be two. So it's easy to practice.
"Oliver! It's your birthday soon!"
"Yeeeeaaaahhh!"
"How old are you going to be?"
"Teeeeeyooooooo!"
Yes, two is a great number. Come December, it will be the number of little ones under this blessed roof.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice. very nice!
ReplyDeleteYLC
Way to bury the lead. Haha:) congrats!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new addition! (December is a fabulous month in which to be born...although I'm a bit biased.) :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I wondered when we saw you at the reunion - you had the glow : )
ReplyDelete