Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Three Non-Blondes

"Is your hair color natural?"

I used to get that question a lot.  And yes, it was natural, thank you very much.  My mother, sister and I all grew up with blonde hair, but unlike the other two, I got to keep mine well into my thirties.  Okay, well into my early-thirties.  I was proud of that.

My first clue that I was losing my blonde was when I last donated my hair a couple of years ago.  My stylist, after exlaiming over and over how adorable I looked with short hair, suggested that it would look super-cute with "just a few blonde hilights."  And I thought to myself, that's weird, if I'm blonde, why do I need blonde hilights?...

Second clue came after seeing a picture of myself.  With, well, dishwater blonde hair.

"You could get hilights," my coworker suggested as I recounted my new realization.

"I don't really care about the color," I said.  "It's just..."

"A loss," she finished for me. 

Yes, that was it.  I've officially lost what I felt was, even though tiny in size, a part of my identity.  I'm no longer blonde, not really.  And I'm getting older.

For the past five years, I have grown out my hair about a foot past my chin, then lopped it off for donation.  My hair grows fast, it's thick, and well, it's blonde.  I mean, it was.  Last month I was a little over half the way to my third donation- the hardest part, where my hair sits lamely around my neck, and inevitably ends up in a pony tail by 9am.  I wish I could just cut it now, I thought to myself.  And then I thought: I can.  I can always donate again in the future.  And let's face it, a thick, long braid is nice, but its dull shade makes it a bit less of a commodity than it was in years past.

But the winning argument?  I don't have much time these days to put much effort into my appearance.  I need a little something to freshen me up a bit.  So I chopped.



...and might have added a few blonde hilights.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    Signed, Former Blonde Who Still VERY Much Thinks of Herself As Blonde Despite Evidence To the Contrary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute cut! You make me want to chop mine!

    ReplyDelete