Thursday, September 27, 2012

Unnecessary Roughness



I have married into football.  Before meeting Michael, I couldn't say with confidence what a quarterback did or how many points a touchdown was worth.  And even now, it took me five mintues to come up with that sentence, because I couldn't think of two examples of things I now actually know about football.  I'm a supportive football wife, and I do the best I can to take interest in the game.  This includes commenting on how muscley a player is, how their shiny pants make their butts look, and my favorite, making fun of calls.  Take "face mask", for example.  Sure it's dangerous and punishable to grab a player's face mask aggressively, but I find it funny that they can grab, smash, run over, pummel, and steamroll over any other part of their uniform or the body parts they cover.  But my all-time favorite ridiculous call is "unnecessary roughness."  Really?  This is football, people.  They can grab, smash, run over, pummel, and steamroll over each other all they want for the sake of making a goal.  I find it amusing that such violence can actually be sanctioned but only to a point.  All of a sudden a flag is thrown and the ref says that the roughness just got to be a wee bit too much.

I am the mother of two boys.  When we found out that Charlie was a Charlie, my mind immediately went to the boys growing up and exhibiting unnecessary roughness of their own.  There will be eye-poking, pile-driving, squashing, hitting, wrestling and yelling.












Call it.  It has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment