In one of our tips-on-parenting handouts that we received at a recent pediatrician appointment, I read a tidbit on mealtime. It said, "Don't engage in battles over food. You will lose, every time."
Oliver will often challenge us by precariously hovering his hand, which will be clutching some mashed-up ball of messy food, over the side of his high chair. He then stares us down as we say, "Oliver, NO-" and then he opens his little fingers and drops the food mash onto the floor.
Before this challenge, our tabletop adventures consisted of blowing rasberries with food in the mouth. I furrowed by brow as intensely as I could and lowered by head. "Oliver. NO."
Michael sat nearby and laughed. "Seriously? That's your 'no' face?"
"Whatever," I protested. "It's all I can do from laughing."
Michael nudged me out of my chair. Oliver looked at him, happy to face another challenger:
When it comes to food fights, it looks as if this child will always, always have the last word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's official-- I'm addicted to your blog. I keep checking in the middle of the night when I'm up with Anna to see if there's a new post. I just put her back to bed, checked to see if there was something here, and yelled "yippee!!" when there was (in my head, that is, to avoid waking her back up.) She just started rice cereal this week-- so this is a timely preview of coming attractions! LOVE the video. :) Love, Noolia
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed with Michael's disciplinary skills. Consistency and follow-through, that's the ticket! (Hopefully you'll have learned not to laugh by the time Oliver is a teeanger!) YLC
ReplyDeleteLaughed out loud at the last weak little raspberry. How DARE he! : ) ZH
ReplyDelete