Monday, September 13, 2010

One Little Nuk


It finally has happened, the day has now come
When twelve little nuks just turned into one.

And one turned to zero, in the blink of an eye
(I knew this would happen, between you and I).

To make matters worse, it was discovered at seven
Just before bedtime, Ollie's "nuk heaven."

(Oliver needs it, a nuk in his mouth
To help him to sleep, as eyelids droop South).

We searched high and low, we searched far and wide,
We looked and we looked; we really did try.

We turned over cushions, we scooted the couch,
We searched diaper bags, in every lil' pouch.

We looked through his toys, the trucks and the balls;
Under blankets and diapers, and shoesies so smalls.

We checked in our cars: under seats, under wheels,
But no sign of nuks could be found- I'm for real.

We opened the oven and looked in the fridge-
Okay, I exaggurate, maybe a smidge.

We looked in the crib, and there by the wall
Was one little nuk- just one, that was all.

But one was enough, at least for tonight
So Ollie could sleep under stars shining bright.

I rocked him and hugged him, and walked to his bed,
As he lay on my shoulder his sweet sleepy head.

I wished him good night, then a second I took
To add: "Now Ollie, please don't lose that nuk!"

1 comment: