The WiiFit has been on my wish list for quite some time, if only I could find one in stock. So when Best Buy told its ad-readers that they would have several on their shelves last Sunday, I was way psyched. The whole experience was pretty awesome to begin with, as the parking lot had a highly sought-after "for expectant mothers only" parking space. It's funny how I saw those special parking spots all over the place when I wasn't pregnant, and now that I am, the first I come across doesn't appear until we are nearly 27 weeks along. Parking in front of the door and seeing my husband standing near the check-out with 1 of 2 remaining WiiFits were two big hilights of the week.
"Big" seems to be the buzzword around here, in one shape or form. Today I felt good being pregnant, thanks to a very dear friend of mine who started my day off in an encouraging phone call telling me I looked beautiful. I love you, Julia! I happily shlepped myself inside my office where I was met with a myriad of comments about my size:
From the triage nurse: "Geez, Kirsten, looks like you had too much to eat last night!"
From a friend: (poking at my belly): "it's so...weeeeeird!" Poke, poke.
From a former patient's mother, stepping off the elevator: "It's so good to see you! Oh, are you...." (yes, I am pregnant). I love it when people begin to ask, but then they immediately realize that if they're wrong there will be two mortified parties. But after the eyes have lingered upon the midsection, it's too late, the question is obvious.
I took a quiz on Facebook today: "What Muppet Are You?" I love the Muppets, and in a nod to the Kermit the Frog song that was running through my head (I Don't Want to Live On the Moon), I took the quiz. "I'm about to find out what Muppet I am," I cheerfully announced to Michael, who was hiding behind his own laptop.
"Now, don't be mad," he warned, "if they say you're Miss Piggy." I chuckled. "I mean," he said, "you totally won't be, but I'm just saying."
I was Miss Piggy.
I read the profile, and it was more about my outgoing cheerfulness than my inclination to eat whatever's in front of me. Okay, cheerfulness and a flare for the dramatic. Ahem.
But the comment that made my heart sink today was from my beloved new WiiFit. Tonight was the first time I had the opportunity to open the box, install the batteries, and play with the new toy that I had waited for for so long. I have always called the Wii an intuitive gaming system, which is maybe whey I took it a little hard when it calculated my BMI status as "obese." Obese, obese...I couldn't get past the word. I suppose it makes sense: I am 5'1" and growing exponentially. My new weight should not match my height. But as I reasoned, the character on the screen representin obese me actually changed shape. My Mii turned pudge. It was befuddling to set a weight loss goal, when I am told to expect a 1/2-1 lb weight gain every week. I set a goal nonetheless, but 6 months out. "Just think," Michael said, "after the baby comes, it will think you're doing reallllly well!"
The Miss Piggy in me wanted to put my nose in the air and sniff a haughty "hmph!" at this, but I chose to laugh instead, something I'm doing more and more of these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment