And muddle I did. Through feeling so crappy, I managed to haul 9 boxes into my trunk and donate them to Goodwill; take me and Oliver to Noodles for lunch (where he stared at an older woman of about 6 years old a little too obviously the whole time); go to Barnes and Noble for Father's Day gifts; and then peruse for flowers at the Home Depot. And there, standing between the Marigolds and Petunias, I knew I had finally hit bottom. Up until then, my errands served as distraction- I would either feel like crap at home or feel like crap being productive, so the latter made sense to me. That is, until I found myself standing over a 40 pound bag of topsoil that I couldn't lift onto the bottom of my cart. I tried, and in the process, dug a hole into the bag, causing the dirt to cascade out. I wanted to cry, but thought that might look bad. Instead, I plunked it down, looked around, grabbed the cart and bolted the other way, leaving that bag on the ground for some poor teenager working his summer job to clean up. And the worst part is, I didn't even feel bad about it at the time. A fever began to set in, and along with it some silly thoughts that included, "They have a procedure for that. A policy for how to deal with a torn bag of dirt on the ground, and they will follow it, and it will be fine."
Back at home, I took Ibuprofen and learned how to take care of Oliver without doing much. And to do it from my position lying on the floor. I made sure he didn't cut himself or set himself on fire, and beyond that, I didn't really care what he did or what he played with. Remotes? Daddy's reaaaaally nice watch? Capless pens? Pulling magazines one by one onto the floor? Go for it, baby.

I am such a wimpy sick kid compared to Oliver.

If Oliver would take care of you when you are ill as well as you take care of him when he is ill, you too would be singing a different blog entry. Did he even make you soup? Really. I believe that some slack is in order. (Or, a pity party. Your choice.)
ReplyDeleteAnd, I believe that they do have a procedure for that. It includes taping the bag back together so that someone else will purchase it.
GWS