Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Barry's the Man."

One unique quirk about my husband that I find equal parts strange and endearing is his love of Barry Mannilow. Despite Michael's best efforts, I cannot bring myself to join the throngs of Fannilows, though I appreciate the man's talents and enduring capability to entertain over years and years. And years.

For Christmas two years ago, I got Michael the gift of a lifetime: tickets to Bon Jovi, his second most-idolized musical genius. Oh, and then a second pair of tickets. To Barry's concert. I have never seen happiness in Michael's eyes like that before, not even on our wedding day. Oh, okay, I'm exaggurating a bit, but the man was thrilled.

With one eyebrown skeptically raised for the full 2-3 hours, I went with Michael to the X-Cel to see Barry work his magic. "Come on," Michael will often tell me. "Barry is the man!" The show was pretty cool, I must admit; years, and years, on the stage has seasoned Mr. Mannilow in putting on some good entertainment. The 50-60-something women who sat in seats surrounding ours thought so, too. At one point, after noticing us, one of the women looked back and said, "um, how old are you?" and then proceeded to ask how we even knew of Barry Mannilow. Michael's reponse was predictable. "Barry's awesome, man! He writes the songs!"

This evening, we received a phone call from a good friend of ours who also publically claims Fannilow status. Her voice mail informed us that today is Barry Mannilow's birthday. "It's 8:20pm," she said. "There is still time- I think you should be induced today, so your baby can share his birthday. I'm serious, now."

Michael jumped up and down with a giddy smile. I'm surprised that he didn't do one of two things: 1) bake a birthday cake for The Man, and 2) rush me to Abbott to attempt an induction. We are 38 weeks along today. Our little guy could come at any minute. I'm very skeptical of anything but a long labor, but if I begin every 5-minute contractions now, I know Michael will be eyeing the clock and hoping for our lives to change in one hour and 16 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment