Sunday, June 14, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

As a pediatric nurse, I have the unique entertainment of getting inside kids' heads. Kids are honest. And curious. And hilarious. When I was pregnant, I noticed kids looking at my stomach before I was even showing, with this kind of creepy, spiritual look. They just knew. There is something so pure about kids. Spend five minutes talking to a kid and you will see the world in a different light: an honest one.

One day, the mother of a rambunctious 5-year-old told him to settle down and be careful, because I had a baby in my tummy. He stopped dead in his tracks and stared at my stomach. After a moment, he said, "I want to see it." I laughed and said, "Yeah, I do, too." He furrowed his brow. "Show me," he said. "I want to see it now!"

Another 5-year-old responded to my news with a gentle, "is it a boy, like me?"

One 7-year-old, the star of many previous blog entries, was nearly beside himself with excitement when he found out that our baby could hear him. Last week, he walked up to me and looked up into my face with his best puppy-dog brown eyes and said, "I bet your boy is going to be very handsome." I'm so going to miss this kid, I thought as my heart swelled with affection. Then he clarified: "Well, what I mean is, he will be handsome when he grows up, not like right away."

But one of my favorite moments came last week, when I told a 4-year-old that I would not be coming to his house for a while. "Do you know why?" I asked him. He nodded with a toothy grin. "Why?" I asked, pointing to my belly. "What's in here?" His exhuberant answer:

"Ketchup!"

1 comment: