Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Back-Up Pile

Oh, sure, he looks cute and innocent.
But did you catch the words on his onesie? This one came in the mail, a gift pack of onesies, which I initially cooed over- it's kind of tricky to find primary-colored baby clothes, and I must say that Mr. Oliver looks pretty dapper in royal blue. But after the initial wash in Dreft, I took the little tees out of the dyer and noticed their titles. "It's All About Me," and "I'm the Boss."
These onesies make me wince. They give my 5 1/2-week-old son an attitude that he hasn't even had the chance to develop on his own yet. Would we ever let our children walk around saying these things? Ollie will not be walking up to someone when he's 8 years old and say, "Hey, I'm the boss. It's all about me." So I'm certainly not a fan of clothing that speaks this message for him.
Therefore these onesies have made it into the back-up pile. The, "it's-8pm-and-he-just-peed-through-his-outfit-and-just-needs-something-dry-to-wear-for-the-night" pile. I mean, what if the attitude this little outfit proclaims quietly absorbs into his skin and he grows into an arrogant kid who talks back to everyone? Why can't we have onesies that say, "Can I Open the Door For You?", "I Volunteer At the Nursing Home," or maybe "Please Tell Me About Your Day, I'm Listening and I Care About You." Or maybe we can we simply change one word and say, "It's All About You." Hmmm, permanent marker...I wonder...
If you think I'm taking my theories about these onesies a bit too far, I suggest that you check out this picture, taken a few seconds after the first, and decide for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment