Friday, August 28, 2009

A Week of Firsts

Daddy left yesterday for a work trip. This is his first time travelling since Oliver arrived exactly two months ago. This is Oliver watching Daddy pack his bags:

He sure tried his best to guilt him into staying, but alas, Michael left for the airport, leaving me with a human baby for 4 days and 3 nights. I have a little trepidation of going it alone, mainly of having enough energy to do every single feeding and diaper change and spillage wipe-up and scream-consoling and middle-of-the-night duty for half a week. And somehow take a shower and eat a meal or two in there. I know I have faithful readers who have husbands who are frequently out of town, and for much longer periods of time, and I hold them in the highest esteem. Girls, I don't know how you do it, and I know I sound really wimpy right now....it's just that this is a first for me. The first time always brings the most trepidation.

Day one has come and gone, and it went very well. We both got naps, and I spent 2.5 hours cleaning the house to sparkling in anticipation of my sister and brother-in-law's arrival this weekend. Plus, I have rehabed the petunias outside which are now blooming again, I disinfected the kitty drinking fountain, did a load of dishes, a load of laundry...and took care of the baby. And yes, I did get to eat something, too, but never with both hands.

Guess what else happened yesterday? Oliver learned to do something. I'll give you a hint:

















His newfound talent came just in time to help get me through the next few days.

Confession: while I was snapping these pics, I was watching more Learning Channel gawker-trash (see previous blog). I really hate to admit it, but I kind of like watching "Toddlers in Tiaras." Horrible, I know, absolutely horrible. Parents putting whorish make-up on their 2-year-olds and taking them to have their nails done to win prize money at toddler beauty pageants. Disgusting. But as I was taking these pictures, I found myself no steps above these pageant Moms. "Oliver, just one more smile!" "That was a weird one! How about looking over here?" "Just a few more, we have to make this blog cute!"

Oliver eventually delivered to me what I had coming:


The Pout. At least we'll be able to use that one on Michael the next time he packs his bags.

1 comment: